Sunday, May 29, 2011

Ao Oni again

So a lot has happened in the world of Ao Oni since the last time I posted. Ao Oni is now at version 6.22, so the game is completely different again, with a new mansion layout, new puzzles, and new ending. It requires RPG Maker XP RTP, and to set your non-unicode language setting to Japanese. In addition, the 6.xx series of the game lets you name the main character.

Most importantly, there is an official English and Italian version of the game, which shows just how popular Ao Oni has gotten. I think the creator of the game owes Gami and Fuhiki a lot, as I doubt this game would have gotten anywhere near as popular without their legendary jikkyou play.

I've actually played through 6.22 already, and I think it's pretty good. Compared to the earlier versions of the game, the difficulty level of 6.xx is relatively easier and the mansion is a bit smaller as well. There are some cool new things added in 6.xx, but there's also some things that I wish were preserved from older versions, especially 5.xx.

Something I mentioned earlier was the new option in version 6 to name the main character. There are actually some cool easter eggs with this. Everytime you beat the game Hiroshi tells you a different name to input that can change the game in some way. One particular name is SOUTHPARK which leads to this...


I've also found a really funny English Let's Play of Ao Oni 6.22 by MikeNnemonic on Youtube. Unfortunately he's not actually playing the game for the first time in the videos, but he brings a very unique interpretation to the game that I think is worth watching through haha.




Finally, since the game has gotten so big, someone has gotten around to archiving all of the previous versions of the game. Pretty nostalgic, if you want to go back and play the version that Borzoi Project did or want to see how different(and ghetto) ver 1.0 is compared to what we have now.

2 comments:

  1. My name is Aooni 6.22 can't be changed for some reason :T Is there a delete button to erase letters there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant in instead of is.

    ReplyDelete